Wednesday, November 5, 2008

What's up with Abby?

I know I just posted another, happy blog, but I thought I should mention what else is going on...especially for everyone that prays for us!! Part of Abby's one year check up is a blood test to check for lead and anemia. She's not anemic, but her lead count came back at 5.7. The "acceptable" range is 0-10. There is no reason why a child should have any lead in their system unless they are directly ingesting it somehow. I got the results about a week ago, but the doctor's note said that it was just "a little higher than we'd expect, we recommend rechecking at 18 months." Okay...so that lulled me into a false sense of security, I guess...and stupid me forgot to think like a nurse. That brings us to today. I get a call from the Public Health department. Yup. They reported Abby's results to the health department. I guess they have to. Now, why would a doctor tell a parent that it's basically just something to recheck, and then notify the health department? Do you not think that maybe you should let the parent know that it's serious enough to get the health department involved? And then...I look up/ask the public health nurse more details...after a lead level of 10, it's considered lead poisoning. Abby's basically at a 6. Where in the heck is she getting it? We have a newer home, built in 1987. No flaking paint anyway. We have city water....and if it was our pipes, Caleb's blood level would have been high when he was a year old. His was 0. I looked up the government website for toy recalls related to lead....we have none of the recalled toys. I'm taking away Caleb's matchbox cars...they were Brent's when he was little...and that makes them old enough that it's a possibility. Abby doesn't really play with the cars (Caleb takes them away from her). That leaves our daycare. It's an in-home daycare....and the house is old, so my gut is kind of leaning that way. However, she's a county certified daycare and gets inspected regularly. The public health nurse, of course, had to ask a bunch of questions....and I had to give them the name of the daycare. They said they wouldn't tell them that it was me. Like I can do that to them! I then called my daycare person to tell her what's going on. I told her we have someone coming to inspect our house next week...and asked if she could inspect hers. She's more than willing. It took her by surprise too. The kids are going to a different daycare for a few weeks anyway...the other part of it is that my daycare provider gets induced on Friday with twins. She's taking 3 weeks maternity leave. I do have a back up plan....and my gut says that I'm not sending the kids back until she gets her house inspected. This is not fun. I'll keep you posted about what we find out. Oh...today I also sent out a water sample to get tested. That should take a few weeks. Anybody got any other ideas?

1 comment:

Tonya said...

Hmm that is crazy. Peanut didn't get tested for those two things at her check up. Oh wait she was sick and I never rescheduled. I think I should now. I hope Abby is ok. I'll be praying.