Monday, April 28, 2008

Out of Surgery...

Brent's mom, Anita, is out of surgery. They got the blood out with no problem, but claim that they can't find the source of the bleed. It's obviously not bleeding anymore, but if they can't find the source, they can't correct it and she's at higher risk of future bleeds. She still isn't on seizure prophalaxis. They had a very difficult intubation and her trachea is very swollen, so they had to leave her on the ventilator, for sure overnight and likely for a few days. They have her sedated on propofol. The general feeling of the rest of the family is relief. I'm still pretty hesitant because I'm concerned they can't figure out what caused it. You should be able to find the cause of a subdural. The surgeon of course came and talked with the family when I had stepped away for a minute, so I didn't get to ask him any questions. The same nurse that she had last night is taking care of her again, so I'm not confident that asking her questions would get me anywhere. She didn't know much at all when I talked to her last night (I'm honestly not just saying that). We'll see what the next few days bring.

No comments: