Sunday, April 27, 2008

This is what I know...

So we're in Rockford, not Madison. Anita had a CT scan and angio, they supposedly can't find the source of the bleed. They're just calling it a right temporal/frontal ICH with some extension into the subdural space. They're not doing surgery right now...waiting to see if she can tolerate the pain and they will reassess in the morning. She's going to have a CT scan at 2 or 3am and then an MRI in the morning. And...this is for all my nursing buddies that read my blog...they've started her on mannitol and decadron, no seizure prophylaxis. Her nurse didn't know what space the bleed was in....and didn't know until I asked her to look it up. All she kept saying was that it was on the right side. Yeah, thanks. I knew that. (And yes, this is all after I said that I'm a neuro nurse, having done ICU.) She looked at me very confused when I asked if it was sub arachnoid or subdural. I then asked if it was subarachnoid, do they have the capabilities to coil aneurysms. Again, she looked at me very confused and said "I don't think so, I don't think we have the radiologist to do that." At this point, I'm giving up on getting any info from the nurse, I think I confused her with my completely appropriate questions. I didn't even broach the subject of nimodipine for SAH since the nurse couldn't tell me what the bleed was. The nurse also didn't know what their usual practice is for starting seizure prophylaxis. Great...we're supposed to be in a neuro ICU. Oh...and did I mention that according to them "transferring is out of the question. We're a level 1 trauma center. We can handle it." She only had one IV for access....the nurse "didn't want to increase her pressure by placing another iv." I guess they missed a few times. It's times like this I wish I could move our whole families close enough to us to be taken care of in our hospital by people that actually know what's going on. I'm really trying to be the "nice" nurse family member, but this is concerning and frustrating, especially knowing that UW would be doing something.

The kids are with my mom and dad...I'm so thankful our families live close to each other. Please pray that goes well....maybe even that Abby will stay sleeping while we're gone.

No comments: